Monday, March 5, 2012

Radical Is as Radical Does

In my small corner of the world my friends and I are reading Radical by David Platt.  We sit at Sunday's table with Orange bound books and our myriad of Bible translations.... reading and re-reading passages of scripture, making confession as we go.   As we probe deeper, we nervously exchange glances with each other... the wind in our sails exhaled, we are all waiting for one of us to say it ... to let us all off the hook.. "it doesn't really mean what he says it means".  But no one does.  One sister fidgets in her seat, while a brother grimaces,  looking down at his fingers smoothing the pages of his well worn Bible.  I glance at the clock and reach for my paper cup of free-trade coffee gone cold.  Luke-warm bitterness that should've been hot.  Huh.  I'm reminded of someone.  I make my confession.  I really didn't know I had lived so many years on the wrong side of a paradigm shift.

"So you cannot be my disciple without giving up everything you own"    - Jesus

I've read that before.  I've read it and went on to chase my material dreams.  I've loved Jesus most of my life... really loved Him.  Somehow I thought sacrifice was washing dishes, folding laundry and schooling little minds.  I was sacrificing b/c after all, I couldn't just go out to lunch or coffee on a whim, like some of my friends could.  Somehow, I confused the freedom to manage my own time, and spend hours each day with my family, and sit on my overstuffed couch, and walk my dog through my upper-middle-class neighborhood, and worship in community within a mile of my house, and drink free-trade coffee out of paper cups as sacrifice.

I am reminded of the anti-drug commercial... the one with the egg.... "this is your brain", and then the fried egg.... "this is your brain on drugs".  And I think my brain is fried.  Really.  I picture a plate of scrambled eggs.... "this is your brain on stuff".

How is it possible to have read Jesus' words as many times as I have and still be so clueless?  Some might read that question and think,... "well, she must not really know Jesus", as they ponder my words from their own La-Z-Boy recliner.
And then..... maybe someone else will read those words... someone who 'gets it' like I haven't.... and say, "I'm going to pray for her and her friends".

I do love Jesus and I do not know what I'm going to do about it.  But I know there is no condemnation in Christ.... I don't know what being faithful will look like tomorrow.... only what it is right now.

If your curiosity is piqued... please go google some people like David Platt, Francis Chan, Katie Davis, Ken Wystma.... a few names out of many who are learning that radical is as radical does.
But make sure you're really interested.... maybe ready is more like it.  It's a dangerous thing to hear the truth and shrug your shoulders and decide to do nothing.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it'd be better to be ignorant.

And if you are reading this and you are further along in your following-Jesus- journey than I am.... will you pray for me and my friends?   We really need it.

And now counting from my abundance of blessings.....

the sight of my children's heads bobbing as they run off to basketball practice
every morning I wake to a day to be spent with them
the kiss I get from my love each morning

finally learning the purpose of fitness

water

listening to the heart of my Persian friend
him sharing so openly
understanding him better

Wednesday mornings with Patti

His grace in my failure
His mercy

a new friend on Sunday
providentially finding us?





                            


3 comments:

  1. yes, Dear One. radical is as radical does.

    on this Radical, Weird, Crazy Love, Jesus speaking to my heart journey i find the command to pray continually (I Thess 5:17) seems exponentially easier as His Lamp shines brighter and brighter (Ps 119:105). and i breathe John 15:5 even deeper than i did before.... and hope filled i rejoice with Zacchaeus as Francis' sermon echoes in my mind (http://youtu.be/pBhqrtMqrv8).

    my head knows, my heart knows:
    "So you cannot be my disciple without giving up everything you own" - Jesus
    and now to live it.

    i thank Him for His mercy. and i thank Him for His gift of you and your friendship. and i thank Him for your words echoing in my mind:
    I do love Jesus and I do not know what I'm going to do about it. But I know there is no condemnation in Christ.... I don't know what being faithful will look like tomorrow.... only what it is right now.

    amen.

    ~ ~

    i join with you in praise of His gifts.

    oh how He loves us (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it wonderful to hear so many voices joining together to say these things? to tell us about the true demands of the call of the gospel? you are certainly not alone in needing a paradigm shift. i find i need one just about daily. :)

    God bless as you follow His voice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get it! I totally get it.

    My word for this year is "nothing off limits". I've built up a multitude of limits with Him and we're breaking them down together.

    Loved Crazy Love!

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete